Building website cost and what are the first steps for your online presence
Building a website is an essential step for individuals and businesses looking to establish an online presence. Before diving into the exciting world of web design, it’s important to consider the costs involved. Building a professional website can be expensive, but it doesn’t have to be. With some research and planning, you can make a functional, custom-designed site for your business at little cost.
The prices can vary by around $100 more ore less depending on the CMS, theme, host provider, and materials you choose. As an example, the cost for the first year would be $375 and $235 for the second year if you handle all the work yourself without hiring a copywriter or web designer. Geo location is another important factor to consider.
When it comes to hiring web designers and copywriters, European countries tend to charge around $20 per hour whereas in Norway or Scandinavian countries , it can go up to $200 per hour. On the other hand, in Asian countries like India, Cambodia, and Vietnam, you can find web designers for a more affordable rate of $5-10 per hour while in the States, it’s around $30 per hour.
It’s important to note that the cost of a simple blog or website with just one or two pages is not the same as the cost of a complex website with 20-30 pages and categories, such as an e-magazine or e-commerce store. Below are the estimated costs, just to give you an example. If you’re looking to hire a developer to set up your basic simple website, it will cost you around $100-200 more.
Short breakdown of costs with WordPress CMS:
$50 one time cost – CMS Theme
$25 per year cost – Domain name ( .com )
$100 per year cost – Web Hosting
$200 per year cost – e-Material ( graphics, photos, videos, texts.. )
1. Get an easy-to-use CMS
Content management systems (CMS) are platforms that allow you to easily create and update content, without having to learn how to code. They are more cost effective than hiring a web developer, who would have to spend time learning how your website works before they can start building new features for it.
Content management systems allow you to make changes on your own with little effort or technical knowledge required. Most CMSs come with easy-to-use editors where you can add text, images and other elements directly into the pages of your site without any programming experience at all!
Next time you come across the term CMS, keep in mind these 10 widely recognized and popular content management systems. They have proven their value and are trusted by countless users around the world. Here are following 10 largest content management systems:
- WordPress: As the reigning champion, WordPress dominates the CMS market with a staggering market share exceeding 60%. It offers a vast ecosystem of themes, plugins, and user-friendly features, catering to a diverse range of users from bloggers to large enterprises.
- Shopify: Geared towards e-commerce, Shopify has secured a strong market share in the online retail space. Its intuitive interface, extensive e-commerce functionalities, and seamless payment integration have made it a go-to choice for entrepreneurs and businesses setting up online stores.
- Joomla: Combining flexibility with user-friendliness, Joomla holds a notable market share, making it a popular CMS for various website types. Its strong community support, multilingual capabilities, and extensibility have attracted users seeking dynamic corporate portals, community forums, and online magazines.
- Drupal: Renowned for its scalability and robustness, Drupal commands a significant market share, especially among developers and large enterprises. Its advanced customization options, enterprise-level security, and capability for creating complex, data-driven websites and web applications have solidified its position.
- Magento: Focused exclusively on e-commerce, Magento has emerged as a leading CMS in the online retail sector. With its feature-rich architecture, scalability, and extensive customization capabilities, it empowers businesses to create powerful and tailor-made e-commerce solutions.
- PrestaShop: Positioned as an open-source e-commerce platform, PrestaShop has gained popularity in the online retail landscape. It offers a user-friendly interface, an array of e-commerce features, and a vibrant community, making it a viable choice for small to medium-sized businesses.
- Wix: Known for its simplicity and beginner-friendly interface, Wix has captured a significant market share, particularly among users seeking an intuitive website building experience. Its drag-and-drop functionality, pre-designed templates, and robust hosting services make it accessible to users with limited technical expertise.
- Squarespace: Regarded for its elegant and visually appealing designs, Squarespace has made its mark in the CMS market. It offers a seamless website building experience, combined with robust features for portfolio websites, small businesses, and creative professionals.
- Weebly: Renowned for its user-friendly interface and drag-and-drop functionality, Weebly has gained popularity among beginners and small business owners. It provides a range of templates, e-commerce capabilities, and reliable hosting, enabling users to create professional-looking websites with ease.
- Ghost: Positioned as a minimalist CMS for bloggers and publications, Ghost has garnered a niche market share. With its focus on writing and content creation, it offers a distraction-free environment, seamless publishing workflows, and advanced content management features.
As a prime example, this website runs on WordPress, which we believe is the best CMS.
It’s worth mentioning that platforms like Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, TikTok, and others have their own content management systems which come with limited options compared to WordPress.
2. Choose a custom domain name
Domain names hold significant value as digital assets, comparable to prime real estate in the digital world. Just like physical properties, they can be bought, sold, and developed to generate long-term returns. There have been many cases where hand-registered domains, purchased for just $10-$100, have made empires worth billions of dollars.
Therefore, if you want to establish a reputable business, it is important to choose a domain name that reflects its your busines. In some cases, acquiring a high-quality domain name may require a significant investment of thousands or hundred of thousands of dollars.
However, domain names are cheap and easy to register, but there are also premium domains what are considered as a high valuable digital asset. Choosing a memorable domain name is probably the most important part of building your website. This will be how people find you on the internet, so make sure it’s relevant and easy to remember.
Research on trusted registers or marketplaces
#1. Namecheap.com has established itself as a popular choice, known for its competitive pricing, user-friendly interface, and excellent customer support.
#2. GoDaddy.com a well-known industry giant, offers a wide range of domain-related services and has a vast customer base.
#3. Network Solutions with its long-standing presence in the market, offers premium domain options and caters to businesses’ specific needs.
#5. Dan.com offers a unique approach to domain acquisition with its domain marketplace, simplifying the buying and selling process.
Each of these companies brings its own strengths and reliability to help you find a good domain name.
Make a research on competitors
Also make sure that no one else has taken the domain name before! There are lots of websites out there with similar names as yours (or even identical), so if someone else has already claimed it for themselves then try coming up with something else. It’s best not to use offensive or confusing words in your URL either – this may get off-putting for visitors who see this word every time they visit one page of your site!
When considering domain name and branding, it is always advisable to conduct thorough checks in trademark registers. This will help ensure that your chosen name is free from any potential legal conflicts and safeguard your business’s reputation in the long run.
Take a first steps
The first step in building a website is buying and securing a domain name. GoDaddy, One.com, Namecheap, and Network Solutions are reputable domain registrars that offer competitive pricing for domain registration services. As we mentioned before, GoDaddy often provides promotional discounts, making it an affordable choice. Namecheap is known for its budget-friendly domain prices, while One.com combines domain registration with hosting services. Network Solutions offers premium domain options at a higher price point. Finally, on Dan.com you can buy premium domain name for your business as well you can sell your domain.
3. Choose a good host and make sure it’s fast
The third step to building a professional website on a budget is choosing a good host. Web hosting is crucial for making your website accessible online. GoDaddy, One.com, Namecheap, and Network Solutions provide various hosting options at different price levels.
GoDaddy offers shared hosting plans suitable for small to medium-sized websites, while One.com specializes in providing all-in-one packages that include hosting and website building tools. Namecheap offers affordable shared hosting plans, and Network Solutions caters to businesses with its scalable hosting solutions.
A good host provider will have:
- A fast server: So your site loads quickly for visitors. It’s also important that the host is reliable and secure, so you don’t lose any data or get hacked by cybercriminals!
- Customer Support: A good hosting provider not only offers top-notch technical support but also understands the importance of being available 24/7 through live chat or similar channels.
- Good Prices: A reliable hosting provider offers competitive prices for both domain purchases and hosting packages. You can enjoy affordable rates while ensuring a high-quality service for your website needs.
4. Create your site’s look and feel before you start building the pages
We strongly recommend investing in a high-quality WordPress theme priced at $50 or more. However, there are also excellent themes available for under $50 or even for free. It’s important to keep in mind that while free themes can be a good option, they may have limitations when it comes to meeting the needs of a professional business.
A good design process starts with a clear vision of what you want your site to look like and feel like. You should have a good idea of how all the pages will link together, as well as what they will contain. If this sounds too abstract, think about it in terms of creating a mood board.
A mood board is basically a collage or scrapbook made up of images that represent the style and feeling that you’re going for on your website. For example, if I’m building an e-commerce site for hipsters who love retro furniture (and yes, I know there’s some irony here), then my mood board might include pictures from Pinterest boards about midcentury modern homes or Brooklyn lofts from 1972; vintage furniture ads from magazines like House Beautiful; old Polaroid photos taken in living rooms with shag carpeting; etcetera ad infinitum until my head explodes from sheer awesomeness overload!
5. Focus on what matters most to your customers, not yourself
It’s easy to get caught up in the idea of having a pretty website, but if your users can’t find what they’re looking for or don’t like how it looks, then it doesn’t matter how great your design is.
Focus on what matters most to your customers, not yourself. When you start building out your site and thinking about its structure and flow, think about how you can make things easier for the user by providing useful information at every step along the way. This means keeping things simple and avoiding cluttering up pages with unnecessary links or copy (more on this later).
You can make a professional website at little cost with some research and planning
Before you start building your website, it’s important to consider what exactly you want to do with it. Are you going to use it as an online store? Do you want people to be able to contact you through the site? Or are there other things that are important for your business/project?
Once we have answered these questions, we can start looking at our options for building our own site. There are many different platforms available (WordPress being one of the most popular) which allow users to create their own websites without having any coding knowledge or experience in HTML/CSS or similar languages used by web developers; however these platforms also come at different costs depending on how much functionality they offer out-of-the-box (for example: free hosting vs paid plans).
Build a professional website on a budget
You can make a professional website at little cost with some research and planning. The key is to know what you want to build, how much money you have in mind and what exactly you are getting for your money.
If the answer is “I don’t know,” then there’s no point in going any further with this article because I can’t help you unless you have an idea of what type of site do or want to create: personal blog? Business website? Portfolio? An online store? Or something else entirely different?
Once we figure out what type of site we’re going after, it helps if we have some idea about our budget as well — even if it’s just ballpark figures like “I’m looking at spending between $500-$1,000.” If possible try not spend more than 10% of total project costs on web design services alone (this includes hosting).
Use a free WordPress theme and customize it to fit your brand
You can install and customize a free WordPress theme in minutes and no coding required. You can change fonts, colors, and layouts with just a few clicks. You can also add a logo and social media links to your site.
Start by choosing a free WordPress theme that matches your brand’s style or personality. If you want to create an ecommerce website, there are plenty of shopping cart options available as well!
Once you’ve picked out the perfect theme for your needs (and it will be perfect), all that’s left is adding content like blog posts and pages where people can learn more about what you offer.
#1. Optimize your website for mobile use.
- Optimize your website for mobile use.
- Make sure your website is viewable on mobile devices, by using a responsive design that automatically adjusts to fit the screen size and orientation of a user’s device. This will ensure that users can access all of the content on your site regardless of what kind of device they’re using or where they are in the world.
- Optimize content for mobile users by using shorter sentences and paragraphs and including links to other pages within the text rather than creating separate navigation menus at the bottom of each page (which can be confusing). Test this out with a tool like Google’s Mobile Friendly Test!
#2. Create a mobile app for your business.
If you have an e-commerce business, then it is important to create a mobile app for your customers. A mobile app can help you increase sales and connect with customers in real time. With this tool, you can also collect data from your users and create a community around your brand.
If you are still thinking about whether or not creating an app is worth it for your business, here are some reasons why building one is essential:
When it comes to building a website, the costs can vary depending on various factors and the specific needs of your project. Here’s a breakdown of the key cost considerations:
- Domain Name: The first cost to consider is registering a domain name for your website. The price can range from around $10 to $50 per year, depending on the domain registrar and the specific domain extension you choose (.com, .net, .org, etc.).
- Web Hosting: Web hosting is necessary to make your website accessible on the internet. The cost of web hosting depends on factors such as the type of hosting (shared, VPS, dedicated), the provider, the resources needed, and any additional features. Shared hosting plans, which are more budget-friendly, can range from $3 to $10 per month, while VPS hosting can range from $20 to $100+ per month. Dedicated hosting is typically more expensive, starting from $80 per month and going up significantly depending on server specifications.
- Web Design and Development: If you have the necessary skills, you can design and develop the website yourself at no additional cost. However, if you prefer professional assistance, hiring a web designer and developer can incur costs. Freelancers and agencies have varying rates depending on their experience and the complexity of the project. Prices can range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars or more, depending on the scope and customization requirements.
- Content Creation: Creating high-quality content for your website, such as text, images, and videos, may involve additional costs. You might need to hire a copywriter, photographer, or graphic designer to help produce engaging and visually appealing content. The cost will depend on the extent of content needed and the professionals’ rates.
- Website Templates and Themes: If you opt for using pre-designed website templates or themes, you can save on design costs. Many CMS platforms offer a wide selection of free and paid templates or themes. Free options are available, while premium templates can range from $20 to $100 or more, depending on the platform and the complexity of the design.
- Maintenance and Updates: Ongoing maintenance, updates, and support are important for keeping your website functioning smoothly and securely. You might need to consider additional costs for regular backups, security measures, software updates, and technical support. Some web hosting providers offer maintenance services as part of their packages, while others may require additional fees.
At the end
It’s important to note that these costs are approximate and can vary depending on your specific requirements, geographical location, and the providers you choose. It’s advisable to research and compare prices, read reviews, and consider the long-term needs of your website before making any financial commitments.
Building a professional website doesn’t have to be expensive or difficult. You can use these five tips to get started on your journey towards building an awesome website that will help grow your business and increase sales. Remember that when it comes down to it, the most important thing is making sure that your website works for you and your customers – not just looks good!